Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Imprints

Ever meet someone for a brief period in time and find yourself wondering about that person on a regular basis? I have, heck I do often. See, there are people with whom I have had fleeting moments with and for some reason still feel connect to their spirit. I don’t really understanding where it comes from or what about that particular person causes the connection. I just know its there. They just leave an imprint.

So with that said, recently I have been thinking about this young lady I met in a Wal-Mart parking lot over a year ago. The details are sketchy. I don’t recall the day of the week or the time of day or even her name. To be perfectly honest, I can't even recall any of her facial features. Anyway, my good friend and I were leaving Wal-Mart and as we were walking towards my car. I heard this sniffling. I looked over at the young lady sitting in the driver’s seat of a car with Alabama plates and she was crying. And I am talking about on of those soul-cleansing-Lord-I-need-your-help-type of cries. I pointed it out to my friend and we both said on of those good deed comments. You know, the type of comments people tend to make when they know they should be doing something but end up talking themselves out of it, for whatever reason. We both said, ‘God, I hope everything is ok.’ And were about to leave. But I just didn’t feel right. As I was about to shut my car door and head back down Thornton Rd, I just knew I had to go over to this girl. So I did just that.

I tapped on the window and darn near startled the poor girl half to death. She rolled down the window and before I could even introduced myself, (which was the plan I’d created in my head during the brief walk to her car) I told her, ‘Everything is going to be ok.’ She smiled and said thank you. I then proceeded to tell her, that this was an opportunity for her to grow. I opened her car door, reached in, gave her a hug, told her I don’t know you, but I love you and you should love you too. She thanked me once more and I headed back to my car. When I got back my friend said, ‘I think we need to pray with her.’ We went over and did just that. We spent about twenty-five minutes talking to this young lady. We found out she was 19 years old and only in Atlanta for the day and had just been praying to God about how alone she felt and how she just needed reassurance that she would be able to make it. She told us about all the other things that she had been going through in her life and without telling it all, she was definitely in the mist of a storm. As we were about to leave we both gave her our cell phone numbers and told her to call us when she made it back to Alabama safely or if she needed anything else while she was in Atlanta. She promised she would call hugged us and we said goodbye.

She never did call, but I always wondered what happened to that girl. I still think about her from time to time.And when I do, I stop and say a little prayer for her. Wonder if she does the same?

2 comments:

Tazzee said...

Its amazing how everytime I decide to 'stop by' to see if you've posted anything - you have!

I know exactly how you feel. I had a similar thing happen in an IHOP around 5 years ago. Every time I see a thin White girl working in IHOP, I think of this young lady and say a quick prayer for her.

I think God gives us those imprints to make sure certain people are prayed for regularly. And I'm sure you've made an imprint on some lives yourself - so you can rest knowing that there are some folks out there praying for you when you least expect it.

Anonymous said...

Very touching, so often people get so wrapped up in themselves nd their lives they fail to pay attention to the needs of others. If everyone looked out for their fellow (wo)man their needs would also be met.

You all did the right thing and you just never know how much you touched that girls life or what you saved her from.